Camp Lejeune residents and employees want compensation for toxic water

President Barack Obama has ordered the provision of disability benefits worth over $2.2 billion over the next five years to military veterans who were exposed to contaminated drinking water while assigned to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.

Starting March 2017, eligible veterans who were stationed at the Marine base for at least 30 days cumulatively between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987 will be receiving cash payouts on top of their Veterans Affairs health care from the Department of Veteran Affairs. Application for benefits can begin when rules are officially published on Friday, January 13. Eligible veterans cover reserve and National Guard members who acquired one of eight diseases. According to the VA, around 1,400 disability claims relating to the Camp Lejeune toxic water exposure are already pending.

If you were injured in an accident at your place of employment in Raleigh or another area of North Carolina, you can file a workers’ compensation claim for coverage of all your medical bills with the help of our legal representatives at Scudder Seguin, PLLC by calling our offices at (919) 851-3311.

Court rejects workers’ compensation claim for Christmas party injury

A North Carolina court affirmed the North Carolina Industrial Commission’s ruling that denied Melissa Lennon, who worked as a deputy clerk in the accounting division of the Harnett County clerk of court’s office, her request for workers’ compensation benefits when she got injured at her employer’s annual holiday party, noting that Lennon did not sustain her injuries during the course of performing job duties.

According to court documents, employees at the clerk’s office were invited to attend the annual office holiday party at the Chicora Country Club in Dunn. Lennon, who suffered from an acute nondisplaced fracture of the distal radius of her left wrist, coccyx fracture, and superior glenoid tear of her left shoulder after she slipped and fell during the party, filed for workers’ compensation benefits.

The NCIC’s deputy commissioner rejected the claim, saying Lennon had not been wounded within the scope and course of her employment.

If you had been incapacitated as a result of a workplace accident and you have lost the ability to earn your daily wages, either temporarily or permanently, workers’ compensation benefits can protect you from unbearable financial strain. Let our attorneys at Scudder Seguin, PLLC help you file a workers’ compensation claim by calling our Raleigh offices today at (919) 851-3311.

Farmworkers dying because of unsafe transport

According to a report from The Associated Press, over a dozen accidents involving migrant farmworkers moving to the United States resulted in at least 38 fatalities and almost 200 injuries since January 2015.

U.S. Department of Labor records show that of the 1.1 million farmworkers in the country, 71% were born overseas, and half of those people acknowledged they were working in the United States illegally. Stony Brook University history professor Lori Flores, who has studied the Mexican farmworker movement, said these scenarios are commonplace. She noted “It’s an honor system.” She referred to the regulatory processes used to ensure safe transportation processes, “And it’s only when accidents … happen that agencies might get involved. But then it’s way too late.”

Lawmakers recently enacted the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act (MSPA). However, transport deaths still occur for a variety of reasons. For instance, even though over 10,000 farm labor contractors are registered under the MSPA, the Department of Labor’s wage and hour division has only 976 investigators to enforce the rules under it.

Employees who have incurred job-related illnesses and injuries have the right to file for workers’ compensation benefits. If this has happened to you in Raleigh or another area in North Carolina, do not hesitate to acquire the legal services of our attorneys at Scudder Seguin, PLLC by calling our offices today at (919) 851-3311.